Q: Is there a plugin that can activate a lightbox-style (or thickbox-style) effect for individual images? Or are they all gallery related only?
Yes, Simple Lightbox is a great, free lightbox plugin that allows you to insert an image or group of images on a post or page and view them in a lightbox effect when you click on the smaller image.
What I love about this plugin is that you simply need to install it, and it works without any additional coding. It also:
- Automatically resizes the lightbox to fit in the browser window
- Is customizable with themes (including mobile responsive themes)
- Has customizable lightbox animations
- Has many addons for customization
- Supports WordPress image attachment links (as you requested) without having to do any additional manual coding — it just works!!!
- Supports links in widgets
- Allows for keyboard navigation through gallery of images
- Displays the media metadata (caption, description, etc.) in the lightbox
- Enables you to specify where you want to use the Lightbox depending on Page Type (Home, Pages, Archive, etc.)
- Allows you to group image links (play as a slideshow) as in a WordPress gallery
The options for customizing the lightbox are located in the Appearance > Lightbox admin menu (or just click the Settings link below the plugin’s name when viewing the list of installed plugins).
For more usage tips, go to Simple Lightbox’s official page